Thursday, January 17, 2013

The Look of Love

Today, I am finally understanding a little bit better why one writing teacher of mine insisted that physical descriptions aren't necessary. I, along with others in the workshop, argued vigorously to the contrary. I mean, really, did we expect our readers to invest in these faceless blobs of characters? I, for one, needed to be able to visualize who I was reading about, and as a writer, I'd do no less for my readers.

I did see over time, how physical descriptions can be a hindrance as in the case of the Lifetime film made of Nora Roberts' Northern Lights. Nate Burke and Meg Galloway,the bush pilot he falls in love with, are drawn by Roberts very distinctly. He is rugged, and a bit worn; she has some quirky features; neither one is classically gorgeous.  When it came time for Lifetime to cast the movie, they chose Leann Rimes (not really an actress as far as I was concerned) and Eddie Cibrian. Two pretty people who were hot items in Hollywood at the time. From what I understand, the movie, along with the rest of the series of Roberts novels they broadcast that year, was a huge success. I'm sure Lifetime and Roberts both enjoyed the ratings and returns.  Rimes and Cibrian made the affair they started on set legitimate by getting married.  All's well that ends well. But the characters in Northern Lights were too well-defined in my mind.  I just couldn't buy their relationship with these Hollywood types playing the parts.  I'm not saying they should have gone with complete unknowns. I was thinking more along the lines of Cibrian's co-star in the TV series Invasion William Fichtner for the role of Nate Burke, and a much more Ali McGraw-looking actress like Selma Blair for the Meg Galloway. I'm not at all saying that Selma is not beautiful, but she does have a unique kind of beauty----and she's not blonde.  Now before you all label me as a hater of blondes (the heroine in my first romance novel is blonde!) just pick up a copy of Northern Lights and you'll see what I'm talking about. Meg Galloway is not blonde and she's not meant to be, as far as I'm concerned.  But I guess Nora is happy, and Lifetime is happy.

And here I am today, working on a short story (which may very well become a novella by the time I'm finished), in which it's so important to me that readers of all physical types be able to identify with my heroine. It is a story of her vulnerability, and how her desire becomes desperation and obsession. I want any woman to be able to identify with her. I've been very careful to describe her in general terms of features and body type.  But I don't want to limit the reader's ability to relate to her by casting her as a certain race or ethnic type.  Am I making a mistake? Time will tell.

Meanwhile, I think my writing teacher may have been on to something.

No comments:

Post a Comment